Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What a day! :)

So today I had my first formal observation scheduled by my principal.  Even though there was a storm arriving by lunch time, my observation time was kept as scheduled.  The kids of course were acting like any student on a potential half day or holiday (hard to contain and listen).  I did what I could, as I do each day, and taught my lesson.  I am feeling indifferent to the success of it so either way I guess I will be in-touch with the high-points that are discussed with me next week.

As the kids were secretly hoping school was dismissed at an early lunch time because of hurricane force winds and whiteout blizzard conditions.  I gladly accepted the 1/2 free day, took the kids to lunch and off to home I went.  I relaxed a little and it was so nice to spend that brief time for myself.  However, after supper, I was ready to head over to the school.  The school is the highest point in the village and most of the community members are staying the night in the gym.  The feeling of guilt was overwhelming so my roommate (yes, I have one now that not a four legged friend) and I went over to interact with the community.

Following my own rules set for myself this week, I went to have a positive interaction with my students and community members.  We brought a couple card games to the gym and there I sat with 4-8 kids playing UNO for almost an hour.  We had a lot of fun and hopefully it broke up the night a little for the kids.

As far as the weather, nothing major is coming from the sky and hasn't for a few hours now, but the river is flooding and we are getting the extra water this way.  There was a flood in 1974 that was huge, but this one that hit Kipnuk today is worse.  I am ok here in teacher housing and the community members are safe at school.  They are just stuck in a gym with a lot of people and the lights on (can't turn them off because that is how the generator gains power)

I came to Alaska to make a difference and positively impact other people.  Tonight by going to the gym I was able to interact with the kids even more and also a few parents.  The feeling of being here during somewhat crisis was an experience inside itself.  The village held itself together and all seems fine in Kipnuk.

No comments:

Post a Comment